The Discovery Centre – Just opened! Our Centre is located at 1320 Cornwall Road in Oakville to better serve the surrounding communities. Please contact us for information regarding enrollment.
ABHS now offers both comprehensive ABA programming (IBI) as well as targeted programming at the Discovery Centre located at 1320 Cornwall Road, Suite 102 in Oakville
We are currently accepting applications for enrollment for both part time and full time enrollment! Contact us for to book a tour and complimentary initial consultation in order to learn more about our services.
- Diagnostic Developmental/ASD Assessments
- Our partner company, Pryor, Linder, and Associates offers diagnostic assessments for your child
- In future, diagnostic assessments will be offered directly through ABHS/The Discovery Centre
- Complimentary initial consultation to determine what further assessment is required as well as what may be an appropriate level of services (see options below)
- Once service begins a comprehensive assessment is completed in order to inform the process of treatment and goal development
Assessment tools include:
- Review of reports and other documentation: we will review and use previous reports such as IEPs, progress reports, diagnostic reports, psychological/developmental consult notes, assessments from SLPs/OTs, etc. to help inform our development of your child’s strengths and areas of need
- Checklists/questionnaires – usually given to parents/caregivers, teachers, or other individuals who know your child well in order to provide further information about your child’s profile
- Direct Observation: observing your child in various environments (home, centre, school, community) will help to inform the current behavioural situation as well as potential goals
- Skills Assessments: the ABLLS-R or VB-MAPP (or sections of) will be used to provide not only direct testing/observation but a comprehensive picture of your child’s current skills and areas for development. The full skills assessment will be completed for the Comprehensive ABA therapy service option and sections of the assessment may be completed for targeted ABA therapy.
- Functional Behaviour Assessment (FBA)/Functional Analysis (FA): for individuals who have a more significant or challenging behaviour that requires treatment, an FBA or FA may be required. The FBA utilizes many of the assessment tools described above (e.g., checklists, questionnaires, direct observation, etc.) to develop a comprehensive report on the function of the behaviour and subsequent treatment plan. An FA further tests the function of the problem behaviour to more specifically determine an effective treatment plan by implementing an experimental analysis of the behaviour.
Behaviour Therapy Service Options
- Comprehensive ABA Therapy (IBI):
- Modeled after IBI: 15-30 hours per week at The Discovery Centre
- 1:1 instruction along with exposure to group settings (e.g., circle time, play group, etc.)
- Programming that employs both a Discrete Trial Teaching (DTT) approach and naturalistic teaching strategies (i.e., NET, incidental teaching, etc.)
- On site BCBA supervision by either a Supervising Therapist or Clinical Director
- Opportunity for consultation from our BCBA-D Registered Psychologist, Dr. Linder
- Parent and caregiver training and coaching (on mastered skills or skills specific to the home/community)
- Targeted ABA Therapy:
- Minimum of 10 hours per week home based or 9 hours per week Centre based
- Based on your child’s assessment, programming will focus on a few targeted areas (e.g., behaviour reduction and functionally equivalent skills, personal care, social skills, etc.)
- 1:1 or group instruction as required
- BCBA supervision
- We will work with you to determine what will meet the needs of your child in order to help them learn the skills they need to thrive!
- We are happy to work with other professionals that are working with your child in order to ensure that all services are coordinated creating the best results.
- We are also happy to communicate with your child’s school in order to discuss and share strategies where needed, or attend meetings wherever might be helpful.
Home Based Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI):
Autism Behaviour Habilitation Services (ABHS) will work with families to determine the appropriate service model for them. ABHS provides highly skilled senior (BCBA) and instructor (BCaBA/RBT) therapists. Supervising therapists are responsible for designing and monitoring the programs and services. Instructor therapists are responsible for implementing the programs and services outlined. Our senior therapists also spend time working directly with individuals and their families. Dr. Bruce Linder, C.Psych, BCBA-D oversees all clinical services provided to each family.
At ABHS, we recognize that some families are already working with instructor therapists and that the instructor therapists involved have a strong understanding of the individual’s needs and strengths. As such, ABHS is happy to modify its service model to only include services of the senior therapist and clinical supervisor. However, staff training is available to all instructor therapists who were not originally trained by ABHS in order to ensure smooth delivery of all services.